Our Surgical Procedures
- Cataract Extraction: With a routine, outpatient surgical procedure, an ophthalmologist can remove a cataract through a small incision using a technique called Phacoemulsification. This technique uses ultrasonic sound waves to help break up the cataract into small pieces so they can be easily removed.At Eye Care of Maine we are proud to provide pain-free cataract surgery in our state of the art Ambulatory Surgery Center. READ MORE HERE
- Laser Treatment: Various lasers are used for many ocular conditions including diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, and retinal holes and tears. Dilation is required and the procedure is typically pain free.
- Photodynamic Therapy with Visudyne: Prior to the development of anti-VEGF medications, this was a commonly used treatment for macular diseases, especially age-related macular degeneration. We offer this treatment for those patients unresponsive to anti-VEGF therapy, and for several other macular disorders. This treatment requires pupil dilation; Visudyne is delivered by IV infusion followed by low-intensity application of laser energy to the retina. Protection from ultraviolet rays is required for twenty four hours after treatment.
- Anti-VEGF Treatment: Recent breakthroughs in the understanding of retinal disease mechanisms have led to exciting new treatments for such retinal conditions as age-related macular degeneration, retinal vein occlusions, and diabetic retinopathy. Avastin and Lucentis are related medications that are delivered by intravitreal injection to treat these disorders. Pupil dilation is required, and multiple treatments are often required. READ MORE HERE
- Cosmetic Treatments: In addition to offering our patients high quality eye care services when dealing with their vision, Eye Care of Maine offers cosmetic eye treatments in addition to our other services. Understanding that the way you see as well as the way you are seen are both important to you, this service offered by Eye Care of Maine can give you the younger looking face you want.READ MORE HERE